The Szekler Memorial in Nyerges
DN11B, 537066, Romania
The Nyerges commemorative complex marks an important moment in the history of the Szeklers, one of the last military confrontations in the Revolutionary and Independence War of 1848-1849. Here, about 200 Szekler soldiers who fought in the Hungarian revolutionary army against the imperial Tsarist and Austrian armies met their end in 1849.
In their honor, a 5.4 m high stone monument was built in 1897, the work of the Italian sculptor Poulini, who lived in Jigodin (Miercurea Ciuc).
After the year 2000, another memorial consisting of Szekler-style funerary monuments was raised on top of the mass grave, located about 100 m north of the monument.
Photo: Szőke Éva