Franciscan Church of Şumuleu Ciuc
The Franciscan church of Șumuleu Ciuc is one of the most famous architectural monuments, being the most important place of pilgrimage in Transylvania.
It was built between 1804-1834 in Baroque style, following the design of Schmidt Konstantin, an architect from Târgu-Mureş. Minor works were made after 1834, the church taking its present form in 1876. Bishop Fogarassy Mihály consecrated it in 20 August 1876.
The main adornment of the church is the wondrous statue of the Mother of God, placed on the main altar of the church. The linden wood sculpture represents the Mother of God holding the infant Jesus, as described by the Book of Revelation - The Woman Dressed in Sun.
The sculpture, probably dating back to the 16th century, made of a linden trunk, painted and gilded, is the largest votive sculpture known in the world, having a total height of 227 cm.
- Șumuleu Ciuc