Castle / Architectural Objective
Strada Mihail Kogălniceanu 17, Toplița 535700, Romania
Urmánczy Castle in Toplița/Maroshévíz was built between 1903-1906 on the banks of the Mureş/Maros River. The owner at that time was Urmánczy Jeromos, of Armenian origin, and the architect of the building was Giacomuzzi Virgilio (Vigilio) from Tyrol.
The castle is made in the Art Nouveau style, combined with the popular features related to the name of Kós Károly, a special style in the context of the Transylvanian castle architecture.
The dominant feature of the castle is the water tower on the right side of the main facade, with the main entrance on the ground floor. Inside the castle, the two-storey tall main hall offers access to the rest of the rooms: to the men's rooms overlooking the garden, to the dining room and to the owners' apartment. Upstairs were the children's rooms and guest rooms, while in the basement there were the servants' rooms, the kitchen, the storerooms and the cellar.
Over time, the castle building served as the headquarters of the local hospital, of an ethnographic museum, and of the local dance ensemble.
After 2009, the building was returned to the legal heirs. Currently, it has no function, but is open to visitors every Saturday and Sunday from 11 am to 6 pm.